Fall is my favorite time of year. I love how the weather cools and Mother Nature puts on her finest show. In addition to witnessing the amazing natural display of color, I also get excited about preparing for Halloween. And this year was no exception.
I really enjoy making our granddaughter’s Halloween costumes. This year, after reviewing all their options, they decided they wanted to be Fairy Princesses. I found a McCall’s pattern (M6813) with a few versions of fairy costumes. My daughter, Alecia, and I made a few design changes and decided to add sleeves to the two styles we liked, to provide a little more warmth on Halloween night. Then I was off to the fabric store.
The costumes were unique in that they are made from a series of petals for the skirts which are sewn together and then attached to lined bodices for each fairy costume.
Each petal consisted of two pieces of satin that once sewn together is clipped so that it will turn nicely before pressing. I was impressed by the number of pieces that each costume required and decided to figure out how many pieces are used for each. Belén’s costume had 48 pieces for her fairy costume and Eloise’s had 40. In addition, I also made tulle petticoats that each contained 44 pieces of tulle attached to an elastic waistband.
Once I had sewn the petals (38 for Belen’s and 28 for Eloise’s), I overlapped them slightly to form the underskirts and basted together. Next, I sewed together the lined bodices for each costume and after gathering the underskirts, attached to the bodices. Then I repeated these steps for the upper row of petals for the upper skirts. I had never done anything like this before, so it was fun to see how it all came together.
Once the costumes were sewn together, I was off to the craft store to purchase some flowers to adorn each costume. I used artificial flowers that I took apart to remove any of the plastic stems and then hand sewed to each costume. I also adorned the end of each upper petal with a small flower, sewn on with a seed bead.
Last but not least, after the final try-on, I finished sewing on the buttonholes and buttons for each costume.
The finishing touch was the tulle petticoat that was made from 48 hourglass shaped pieces of tulle that were individually wrapped around an elastic waistband to create a coordinating petticoat for each fairy princess.
These costumes were more time-consuming than I had originally anticipated, but it was amazing to see the girls literally transform to real fairy princesses when they put them on as you can see in the following pictures. Belén is our little dancer to begin with and when she donned her costume, it was magical…
Since there are a lot of action in these shots, below I have posted a final picture of the completed dresses.
I hope you have a wonderful Halloween!