Over the years, I have made all our family members a stocking for our mantle. These were all made by hand appliqué, which I enjoy, but it can be somewhat time consuming. This year we had some new folks who helped us celebrate Christmas and I wanted each of them to have their own special stocking. I was concerned that I would not have enough time to complete 3 hand stitched stockings with all the other holiday demands, so I decided to design and machine embroider the new stockings for the mantle.
The first step was to find embroidery designs that were relevant to David, Liam and Sam. I spent some time researching what was available at the various design sites and found three designs that I thought would work well.
Once I found the relevant designs, I added some text and designed the stocking front in my embroidery software.
When I was satisfied with the overall design size and orientation, I printed out a preview of the design. This enabled me to get an idea of just how large the design would be and it also helped me to place the designs exactly where I wanted them to be on the front of each stocking.
Next. I hooped a tear-away stabilizer in the hoop and then floated the stocking front on top of the tear away stabilizer. I pinned the stocking front to the stabilizer, being careful to pin outside of the stitch area. Then I stitched out the designs, following the thread order that was shown on the preview of the design printouts.
I repeated this process for each stocking front until all three stockings were embroidered.
It was fun to see them “come to life” as I stitched them and I love using the wool felt as a background for these stockings.
Once the fronts of the 3 stockings were completed, I carefully removed each from the hoop and gently tore away the stabilizer. Next, I machine appliquéd the toe, heel and top accent pieces with a blanket stitch. I placed each stocking front on top of the felt that was being used for the stocking backs and stitched around the outside edge of each stocking.
Finally, I carefully trimmed about 1/8″ from the blanket stitching to cut out the back for each stocking. Note: I did this after I had stitched around the stockings as this gave me a firmer, more stable background to stitch on.
I was very pleased with the end results. Each stocking truly represented the interests of Liam, Sam and David. Here are close-ups of each stocking.
I like how the stockings fit so well with the other stockings I had on the mantle.
But the best part of all was to see how excited the boys were to discover their stockings and, of course, what was in them.
I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and wish you the very best in the New Year. Happy 2017!!!